In Brief: Telenor only bidder for Pakistan 850 MHz licence 

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) announced that Telenor was the only company to submit a bid for the 850 MHz band licence on offer. As a result the auction for the spectrum will not go ahead. Last month other operators, such as Mobilink and World Call, had expressed interest in the licence, which was left over from an earlier auction in 2014. However, only Telenor lodged a bid by the deadline of 01 June. The base price for the 2x10 MHz in the 850 MHz band was set at USD 395 million.

***Chinese authorities have started reminding mobile users that they have to register their phone, or face being disconnected. All numbers have to be registered by the 30th June 2017. Although a year away, a registration drive has been under way since 2013 and the uptake has not been promising.If the phones are cut off, they will still be able to make emergency calls, and if a final notice is ignored next July, then they will be completely shut-down.

***Singapore's telecoms regulator has issued new rules covering the minimum coverage allowed for 4G networks. The new regulations will require the mobile networks offering 4G services to cover 95% of outdoor areas from 1 July 2016, and will increase it to at least 99% from 1 July 2017.The regulator will also impose similar standards on a fourth mobile network if a license is granted -- who will be provided with more lead-time to roll out its network to meet the standards.The new standards are similar to the 3G coverage requirements that were enhanced in 2012.

***Russian mobile operator Vimpelcom, working under the Beeline brand, has issued a study on the Russian mobile market. The operator expects that the market could contract by 0.3 percent this year. The decline is also expected to continue during the next two years. Mobile market penetration currently totals 180 percent in Russia. Mobile service prices have been under pressure due to harsh competition, Beeline said.

***Tunisie Telecom,the firm selected as the preferred bidder to take a controlling stake in Maltese telco GO, has said it intends to maintain GO’s listing on the Malta stock exchange. The Tunisian operator has made an offer of EUR2.87(USD3.25)per share for GO’s entire issued share capital; GO is 60% owned by Emirates International Telecommunications (EIT), which is itself part of the Dubai Holdings Group,while the remaining 40% is distributed.Tunisie Telecom has said it plans to proceed with its voluntary offer to all GO shareholders, but it is not actively seeking to reach the threshold required for a mandatory squeeze-out of minority investors. Tunisie Telecom chairman and CEO is quoted as saying that he believes it is important for GO to remain ‘a distinct Maltese listed company with a strong local shareholder base’. GO offers a full range of fixed,mobile and TV services across Malta.